Guide to ethical decision making
8 step guide
1. Gather the facts. Are there any associated company rules? Am I authorised to make a decision? Is there a precedent?
2. Define the ethical issue/s
3. Identify affected parties. Major decisions can affect thousands of people for eg
4. Identify the consequences. important to identity the consequences with the highest probability of occurring and those with the most negative outcomes
5. Identify the obligations, and the reason for each one. May be individual or corporate
6. Consider your character and integrity. How could relevant people judge. Family, friends, partners, teachers, co-workers. The front page of the paper test
7. Think creatively about potenital actions. Invent several options rather than just two.
8. Check your intuition. How does it feel. Would you be proud or disgusted?
Potential ethical issues
Economic growth vs environmental
Right to life / death
Complying with regulations
Honest, accurate, complete reporting
Breach of contract
Breach of cultural taboos
Conspiracy to commit a crime
Corruption of minors
Corruption of morals
Intellectual property theft
Invasion of privacy
Uneven access to resources