This is a draft cheat sheet. It is a work in progress and is not finished yet.
- Largest collection of gram neg bacteria
- Tests: biochemical properties, (e.g. sugars fermented, enzymes used), molecular methods.
- GI infections, UTIs (70%), septicaemias (30-35%)
- Some are opportunistic
- Motile (peritrichous all over) and non motile
- Rapid growth, non selective media
- Aerobic & anaerobic
LPS (lipopolysaccharide) :
- O polysaccharide (somatic antigen)
- Core polysaccharide
- Lipid A (toxic to host cell, overstimulation of immune system)
- Typed by antigen-> O/K on capsule, H on flagella.
- Ferment glucose, reduce nitrate
- Catalase + (can break down hydrogen peroxide)
- Cytochrome Oxidase needed as final electron acceptor
| || |