Common uses of Cases in Croatian
Nominative (N) = the dictionary form
• subjects: Ana jede. Ana is eating.
• with the verb biti be: Ona je gladna. She's hungry.
• with some other verbs:
Ona se zove Ana. Her name is Ana.
Postajem star. I'm getting old.
• recipients: Poslao sam pismo Ani. I sent a letter to Ana.
• motion to a person: Trčim Ani. I'm running to Ana.
• to express emotions and feelings:
Ani je hladno. Ana is cold.
Ani je dosadno. Ana is bored
• with the verb sviđati se like and similar verbs:
Ani se sviđa Ivan. Ana likes Ivan.
• possession of body parts and kin, when used as objects:
Perem Ani kosu. I'm washing Ana's hair.
• with some verbs:
Pas pripada Ani. The dog belongs to Ana.
Pomažem Ani. I'm helping Ana.
• tools: Pišem olovkom. I'm writing with a pen.
• means: Putuje vlakom. *He's travelling on a train.
• events repeating on days of week:
Plešemo subotom. We dance on Saturdays.
• indefinite time: Putovali smo danima. We travelled for days.
• with some verbs: Bavim se crtanjem. I do drawing.
• objects: Pas gleda Anu. A dog is watching Ana.
• time periods (must contain a 'measure'):
Živio sam tamo jednu godinu. I lived there for a year.
• with verbs expressing pain, itch and discomfort:
Anu boli glava. Ana's head hurts.
• with the noun strah fear: Anu je strah. Ana is afraid.
• counting: dva psa two dogs, pet pasa five dogs
• with quantity adverbs: nekoliko pasa several dogs
• to express indefinite quantities: Trebam vode. I need some water.
• 'part': kraj filma end of the movie
• existence: Ovdje nema Ane. There's no Ana here.
• possession: auto moje sestre my sister's car
• events within a larger time frame:
Prošle noći je padala kiša. It rained last night.
• replacing N and A:
after gerunds:padanje kiše falling of rain, pisanje pisama writing letters
after osim except and umjesto instead of
• with some verbs:
Bojim se pasa. I'm afraid of dogs.
Ne sjećam se Ane. I don't remember Ana.
• calling someone: Dođi, Ivane! Come, Ivan!
Help Us Go Positive!
We offset our carbon usage with Ecologi. Click the link below to help us!