Quality Assurance & Performance Improvements
This is a draft cheat sheet. It is a work in progress and is not finished yet.
In order for any QAPI process to be effective, it is recommended that you use the twelve steps as developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). To begin the QAPI process in your building, you should begin with step one of the twelve step process from CMS, and work your way through to step twelve. It may take anywhere from six to twelve months to get your program up and running. Remember, this is a process that requires a team approach to work through. Below is the basic framework you will need to build a successful QAPI process in your facility process.
The Twelve Steps
1. Leadership Responsibility and Accountability: Support must come from the top/ Provide resources for your staff.
2. Develop a Deliberate Approach to Teamwork: Have a clear purpose/ have defined roles/ have a commitment to active engagement.
3. Take Your QAPI "Pulse" with Self-Assessment: Use the CMS self-assessment tool to determine areas you need to work on.
4. Identify Your Organization's Guiding Principles: This will unify the facility by tying the work being done to a purpose or philosophy.
5. Develop Your QAPI Plan: Tailor your plan to fit your facility/ Scope will be based on the unique services you offer.
6. Conduct a QAPI Awareness Campaign: Inform everyone about QAPI and your organization’s QAPI plan.
7. Develop a Strategy for Collecting and Using QAPI Data: Effective use of data will ensure that decisions are made based on full information.
8. Identify Your Gaps and Opportunities: Use this time to observe for any areas where processes are breaking down.
9. Prioritize Quality Opportunities and Charter PIP: Prioritize opportunities for more intensive improvement work.
10. Plan, Conduct, and Document PIPS: PIP teams should use a standardized process for making improvements.
11. Getting to the "Root" of the Problem: Determine all potential root cause(s) underlying the performance issue(s).
12. Take Systemic Action: Implement changes that will result in improvement of overall processes.
Help Us Go Positive!
We offset our carbon usage with Ecologi. Click the link below to help us!