The use of orthodox genuine Kosher certified food products as Halal is for temporary period only until the Halal symbol carrying food products are available in supermarkets throughout USA.
Not all kosher certified food products are halal, only those who meet Halal requirements are HALAL
MCG Halal criteria:
The Kosher Certified food products are not considered Halal if they contain one of the following ingredient (based on MCG Halal Standard). The Halal food product or ingredient should not be made of the following ingredients:
1) L-Cysteine made from human hair or chicken or duck feathers,
4) Beer batter,
5) Rum flavor,
6) Ethyl Alcohol or ethanol or Alcohol as a main ingredient,
7) Cochineal or Carmine, (8) Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce (containing Wheat & Soy as ingredients),
9) Brewer’s Yeast or Brewer Yeast Extract obtained from byproduct of beer making,
10) Nucleotides ( Torula yeast is the source of Nucleotides but it is grown on Alcohol)),
11) Pectin ( A Mashbooh ingredient, Alcohol may be used during processing for crystization so it needs investigation),
12) Vanilla Extract (containing 35% alcohol minimum),
13) Wine Vinegar,
14) Balsamic Vinegar,
15) Natural or Artificial Flavor (If ethyl alcohol is used as a hidden or processing aid ingredient or as a solvent then it is not Halal),
16) Confectionary Glaze or Resinous Glaze (Alcohol is used in both),
17) Torula Yeast grown on alcohol,
18) Carrageenan ( A Mashbooh ingredient, if ethyl alcohol or Ethanol or Alcohol is used during its processing then it is not Halal),
19) Natural Vanilla or Natural Vanilla Flavor(because Alcohol is used in its extraction),
(20) Any grape wine by-product such grape skin powder, grape seed oil, grape seed extract,
22) Kosher Gelatin,
23) Torula Yeast grown on Alcohol.
Halal status is given on the following basis
1. The food product is made from only pure Halal ingredients with Halal processing aid or hidden ingredients and no natural or artificial flavors (except those in which alcohol was not used as solvent)).
2. The Halal food product is NOT Made with pork, pork-by-products, bacon, ham, lard, pig enzymes, any other meat-by-products, any other ingredients such as:
Gelatin from pork and non zabiha cow
Kosher Gelatin except fish gelatin
L-Cysteine made from human hair or chicken or duck feathers
Ethyl Alcohol as a main ingredient appears on the ingredient list
Cochineal or Carmine, a red color from insects
Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce ( A alcoholic fermented product containing 1-2% alcohol)
Yeast Extract or Autolyzed Yeast made from brewer? yeast, a byproduct of beer making
Torula Yeast grown on alcohol
Nucleotides (building block of nucleic acid) are obtained from yeast cells grown on alcohol, used in Infant Milk formulas to help babies build a good immune, digestive system and decreased incident of diarrhea
Vanilla Extract which must contain minimum of 35% Alcohol by US FDA regulation
Wine Vinegar because there will leftover wine which is not converted to vinegar
If ethyl alcohol is used as a solvent in natural or artificial flavors.
3. Confectionary Glaze or Resinous Glaze made with Shellac which is dissolve in alcohol and then alcohol is evaporated
4. Carrageenan, if ethyl alcohol or Isopropyl alcohol was used during processing for crystallization
5. Natural Vanilla or Natural Vanilla Flavor(because Alcohol is used in its extraction).
6. Genuine or orthodox Halal or Kosher certification was also used for assigning the Halal status for a food product, which meets the MCG Halal requirements. Because no Halal certified food products are available throughout USA except few such MCG Halal certified Seneca Foods Apple Chips and few from other organizations. Not all Kosher certified food products are Halal. The only one is Halal, which meets the MCG Halal requirements. It is based on Quran and ahadiths which allows good & pure Tayab foods of Ahlekitab and they are good for Muslims.
7. Only hand slaughter Zabiha meat from Halal animals by a Muslim is used as a criteria for MCG definition of Zabiha meat. Machine slaughtering for zabiha meat is not acceptable according to our ulema.